– Rep. Karen Boback (R-Lackawanna/Luzerne/Wyoming) today announced that school entities in the 117th Legislative District are set to receive $948,575 in federal funds for School Health and Safety Grants to address needs related to preventing the spread of COVID-19. Applications are due by Tuesday, June 30; money must be expended by Oct. 30.
“This pandemic has presented unprecedented challenges for our state’s education system,” said Boback. “We in the legislature recognize these challenges, and we are determined to offer our full support and assistance during this trying time.”
Each school district that successfully applies will receive $120,000 plus a prorated share of the remaining money based upon the school district’s average daily membership. School districts within the 117th Legislative District are set to receive:
• Dallas School District – $221,010.
• Lackawanna Trail School District – $159,652.
• Lake-Lehman School District – $193,894.
• Northwest Area School District – $161,324.
• Tunkhannock Area School District – $212,695.
Eligible uses for the funding include the purchase of cleaning and sanitizing products; training and professional development of staff on sanitation and minimizing the spread of infectious diseases; equipment purchases; modifying existing areas to support appropriate social distancing of students and staff; providing mental health services and supports; purchasing educational technology for distance learning; and other health and safety programs, items or services necessary to address the COVID-19 disaster emergency.
More information about these grants and the application process is available here
Representative Karen Boback
117th Legislative District
Pennsylvania House of Representatives
Media Contact: Michael Plummer